Thursday, March 8, 2007

Texas

Inside ice bar. When in Texas........ and I quite like the sign in the background. Would be appropriate for Joes Bar.


Sunday afternoon outside Cruisers Ice House. Inside some of the best Blues ans rock it is possible to find.


This is my host and mate Ben


Saturn 5 rocket at Houston Space centre. They went to a lot of trouble to fake those moon landings eh!!


Little house on the Texas mexico border

Sad Moment Leaving Mexico



Texas...









I met a gentleman on the Mexico border. Ben, from Houston, big bloke on a Yammie cruiser.
Ben is one of the friendliest people I have ever come across. He would start talking to strangers at the drop of a hat. (a trait I noticed with a lot of Texans as it happens).

Ben invited me to stay at his home. He unfortunatly lost his wife to cancer last year, is retired and lives alone. We lived for the 6 days I stayed there like a couple of old batchelors (Bens 63).

His fridge is stocked with plenty of Bud light, water, wine, but little else. Who needs food at home, thats what they made restaunts, bars and pizza delivery boys for.
Ben introduced me to his friends, and even his girlfriends, he took me wherever I needed to go in his hot black Caddie. Helped me find the camera I should have bought before I left Aussie, found a dealer to purchase my bike and a Fed Ex office to send my excess luggage home ( I should have just bought a plane it would have been cheaper)

Best of all, I told Ben, I would like to go to New Orleans, mostly for the live music... No need for that he said, and over the weekend, we rode to a couple of the greatest venues I could imagine, right there in Houston. Aparantly a lot of New Orleans musicians left after Katrina, and ended up in Houston (and other places I guess). These venues are hole in the wall places they call Ice House´s. Cruizers on a Sunday afternoon had the best live blues I have ever heard, for free. I got some short movies of these people to prove it but cant put them up here. Believe me that ice house experience was world class, and a highlight of my trip.

One of Bens friends is an engineer at the space centre houston, he was the one who first told me my plans to go to Florida for the space shuttle launch were in tatters with out me knowing it.

Launch postponed till June probably. So I had to come up with yet another new plan. That is to catch a plane back to Mexico, and travel around on local buses for a few weeks, which is what I am doing now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.