Friday, March 16, 2007

Guatamala

Mayan temple recently retrieved from the jungle at Tikal, northern Guatamala.


Crater lake at Panajachel with one of the surrounding volcanoes just visible.





Religous festival Antigua





Classic Guatamala pigs and chickens bus.



Market day Antigua




Guatamala


Well after those whimps at NASA chickened out on sending up the space shuttle with a few dents in it (hell I mean, my BMW had a huge dent in the tank, and still got me to Mexico and back), my plans were shot to pieces. So rather than continue in the USA to Florida, I decided to sell the bike for a pittance, and return to central America.


I am writing this from Flores in Guatamala.


I have just spent all day clambering around Mayan pyramids at Tikal. Outside this internet cafe is the sidewalk taco shop. I sat for an hour or so at a plastic table on the sidewalk, taking in the tropical clouds, the boats on Flores lake, the pretty senoritas buzzing around on their scooters, the happy chatter of the locals as they buy their 5 cent taco,s. I helped the Taco lady move her stall when the rain started.


I know I said in another entry thatI had come to love Mexico and the Mexicans... well Guatamala is even more so. Free of the burden of the bike, I have been travelling on local and long distance buses, staying in local hotels and eating mostly off the street stalls... Absolute bliss, I love it.


Alas tomorrow I head for home... the long way. Plane to Guatamala city, bus to Mex border, bus to Mexico city, plane to LA, Plane to Melbourne, Plane to Hobart...





Guess I will have to reaclimatise again, still that should be easyish with all the comforts of home.. But then theres the return to work to deal with!!!!.

No comments: