Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Acapulco

What can I say... Acapulco.... must be one of the craziest, clamorous, glamorous, dirtiest, violent outragous places on earth, and I loved it. Kind of a down and dirty experience, bit like an asian city on steroids.

All the cops carry very big guns, in the street all the time. And they look positivly meek compared to the military. They drive around the streets in army trucks with a dozen or so men with machine guns poking out in all directions. There is a virtual war going on between drug lords and the authorities. Last week a local police station came under attack and 4 cops were killed, the military had to come and bail them out. The cops get around in convoys at night, I saw them bailing up two flsh dudes in a Mustang convertable, guns everyware, about 5 police cars, and a dozen police on rather tasty little road trail bikes. Given the war I could see the sense in their target. Unfortunatly I dont have any pics of these things, too many trigger happy young mexicans around to go getting a big black camera out and pointing it at them.

I ground to a halt in Acapulco... Riding down the coast of Mexico, is much further than I thought, and the unremitting bad roads poor drivers, dangerous situations, just blew the stuffing out of me. After the final 70km taking me 2 hot dirty clutchslipping, horn blowing fender dodging hours, I arrived in Aca... absolutly buggered, then had to cope with the homosidal taxi drivers. Millions of the aggressive little barstards, driving as fast as they can, diving through any gap they can, giving way to no one, least of all hot, exhausted lost Australian bikers.

I collapsed into the first hotel I came to and stayed there for 3 days, not daring to get back on the bike.

As a result of all that, I have decided I have had enough of trying to ride to Guatamala. I think if I had a companion to goad me on, and for me to goad on, then we would probably have been there now. But I have decided to turn inland and cut back across to the top corner of Mexico, see if I can unload the bike. Buses seem a better proposition at the moment.

Tomorrow I will put up some pics.

No comments: