Friday, March 23, 2007

Back in Tassie.





Home in Tassie


Starting in Tikal northern Guatemala, and after 5 days of constant traveling - 6 buses, 5 taxis, 4 plane rides and countless kilometers of walking I have suddenly found myself back in a totally different reality.

Helen welcomed me back with open le.....er.....arms. Our home sparkled with the wonderful views and the warm sun streaming in... comfort, clean air, ordered life and society.

No doubt on Monday I will return to my workplace. My boss will almost certainly have the dirtiest, most boring, shortest time frame and under-quoted job in the history of the company waiting for me, as payback for my long absence.

I will be absorbed back into the river of everyday reality like a raindrop in a river, with virtually everyone around me totally oblivious (and why shouldn't they be) to the intense reality I have just experienced on my journey.
I say reality, because this journey has been far more for me than just another holiday. Holidays for a week or so on a beach are part of the workday reality of everyday life. My journey, for me , felt completely different to that.

I have had two months living in a very intense movie, 3d, ultra sharp technicolor, sensorama, smellorama, and full doby soundtrack.. I have met a constant stream of wonderful people who have treated me with friendliness, respect, tolerance and downright hospitality.*.

The Mexican and Guatemalan people I met along the way, happily put up with my ignorance of their language, and tried hard to understand my mispronounced baby talk Spanish, virtually to a man they are cheerful tolerant people, getting on with their lives. I loved their love of their jangly music, and good humour in difficult situations, like the hundred or so people packed onto the chicken and pigs bus in Guatemala, laughing their heads off at being so crowded.

The other tourists and travelers I met along the way, often shared only a very brief time together, which can be a slightly sad experience, as these people are probably the ones who would best understand the kind of reality a journey like this constitutes, and would perhaps be potentially wonderful friends, if they shared ones workday reality.

The other people who made my journey such a wonderful experience were all Americans.
Mar, who sold me the bike, drove me around, took me to a wrestling match, and told me about life as a patriotic American. Paul and Nadine who put me up in their home, and shared their passions for line dancing, and the grand canyon and space exploration and Mexico. Ben who put me up, drove me around, was my mate, and showed me the fun side of Houston, and Jeanie who took us to the rodeo.

So now its back to business, the end of the blog. I have enjoyed doing this, its been kind of a diary for me, and a proxy postcard for my friends, I hope it hasn't seemed too self absorbed and that readers have enjoyed it. See ya.




Guatmalans still laughing despite the completely overcrowded bus being driven at insane speeds on unbelievably bumpy, windy backroads, which we were forced onto as we were not allowed on the main road which was closed so that the president of the United states could travel upon it.


The rodeo in Houston, 60,000 people, a stadium the size of the MCG. Everything is big in Texas.





No comments: